[IPython-user] strange issues...

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Sep 10 01:40:08 CDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
>
> > We should try the "lyx => save as docbook => convert to ReST" route.
>
> Once you're willing to convert the text, have you considered storing
> documentation in a section of the wiki itself?

It would certainly be nice, esp. as a way to get user contributions.
I'd like to retain the ability to produce a full PDF with a real table
of contents like we have today, it's nice for printing (believe it or
not, people still use that thing called paper), and also for quickly
navigating the whole manual.

It's always a bit of a challenge to find a good way to have wiki-like
contributions to a manual with at the same time the ability to 'vet' a
version of said manual for more static-like production at release
time.  I know several people have tried things like this, for a while
Fredrik Lundh (PIL author) even had a version of the Python docs
running on top of some Django magic to support appending comments to
it.

I have yet to see any of these ideas become a full production tool,
but I'd love to have/use one.  Since we're considering improving the
documentation situation after the next release, all ideas and help are
welcome.  This is a problem where any interested party can provide
excellent contributions, and that does not require getting all dirty
with the underbelly of ipython itself (besides, such contribution
could benefit other projects besides ipython).