[IPython-user] using ipython with emacs 22

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Sep 17 01:26:05 CDT 2007

On 9/16/07, David Strozzi <david.strozzi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup a nice environment for doing scientific computing
> via python/numpy/scipy on linux (in particular opensuse).  I am a big
> emacs fan, and want to use ipython within emacs 22.
>
> Is there a "preferred" way to do this?
>
> It seems there are two pieces to the question:
>
> 1. emacs python mode - emacs 22 comes with a shiny new python mode,
> and there's also the separate python-mode.el.
>
> 2. ipython.el - the top of this file says it works w/ emacs 21,
> doesn't mention 22.  Does it?

I use it routinely with Emacs 23 (a CVS build) without problems.

Here's the relevant part:

;; Configuration for IPython, thanks to Alex Schmolck.
;; For things to really work correctly, a recent (4.22 or newer) version
;; of python-mode.el is needed.

;; Basic call: this will get the system running in default mode.
(require 'ipython)

;; Set the ipython command manually if emacs can't find it on the system
;;(setq ipython-command "/home/fperez/usr/bin/ipython")

;; Configure the ipython call for pylab use
(setq py-python-command-args '("-pylab" "-p" "pylab" "-colors" "LightBG"))
;(setq py-python-command-args '("-colors" "NoColor"))

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.ipy$" . python-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

Note the '-p pylab' part is because I have a special 'pylab' profile
that I use where I load my personal customizations, omit that part if
you don't have such a thing setup.