[IPython-user] using ipython with emacs 22

Greg Novak novak@ucolick....
Thu Sep 20 14:04:23 CDT 2007

On 9/16/07, David Strozzi <david.strozzi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to setup a nice environment for doing scientific computing
> via python/numpy/scipy on linux (in particular opensuse).  I am a big
> emacs fan, and want to use ipython within emacs 22.

I do this.

> 1. emacs python mode - emacs 22 comes with a shiny new python mode,
> and there's also the separate python-mode.el.

> 2. ipython.el - the top of this file says it works w/ emacs 21,
> doesn't mention 22.  Does it?

This is what you want to use, and the main thing it gives you is
integration between a running IPython, the python debugger, and your
source code.  So an exception automatically opens the debugger (via
IPython) and pdbtrack zaps you to the place in your code where the
exception occurred.

If you're an emacs fan, you probably already know about
comint-previous-matching-input-from-input.  If not, look up the docs
for that function--it provides whiz-bang history completion like
IPython---and it provides said whiz-bang completion whether you're
running IPython, python, the shell, Lisp, Maxima, or whatever else you
might want to run underneath Emacs.

E-mail me if you have trouble,
Greg