[IPython-user] hard-to-read highlight colors in ipython mode w/ XEmacs

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Apr 8 16:29:27 CDT 2008

Hey Skip

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:31 AM,  <skip@pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm been messing around (without success) trying to determine which faces
>  are used to color the text in tracebacks in ipython comint buffers within
>  XEmacs.  See the attached PNG.  The green face is particularly hard-to-read.
>  Any clues?

just to add some info, those are the colors for lightbg. As you found,
ipython.el tries to auto-guess the correct 'colors' value from the
darkness of the emacs frame background.

The problem is that emacs seems to only emit a subset of the full ANSI
colors: when using 'lightbg', ipython actually produces the ansi
escape for *dark* green, which in a terminal is very readable.  But
Emacs produces, as far as I can tell, *light* green when given the
dark ANSI escape.  You can see the differnece in the attached
screenies.

So as far as I can tell, there seems to be a little bit of a
limitation in how (X)emacs renders ANSI escapes in terms of the actual
colors it produces.  If anyone knows of a better solution we can
implement/support from our end, by all means let us know.