[IPython-user] gtk.main_iteration() blocks ipython

Pieter Cristiaan de Groot p.c.degroot@tudelft...
Sat Apr 12 04:55:47 CDT 2008

Dear all,

I think I solved my problem of the blocking gtk.main_iteration()
I changed two things:

1) instead of running gtk.main_iteration() inside ipython, I emit a
signal (with gobject), that is picked up by the gui. The gui then runs a
callback function. HOWEVER: this alone did not solve the problem.

2) instead of running just gtk.main_iteration(False), I run:
        gtk.gdk.threads_enter()
        while gtk.events_pending():
            gtk.main_iteration_do(False)
        gtk.gdk.threads_leave()

The 'entering' and 'leaving' of the threads seemed to be the crucial
step. Probaly you can leave out point 1) altogether, but I think it is
more elegant like this.

Hope it helps somebody,
Pieter