[IPython-user] Alternative %store behavior

Yichun Wei yichun.wei@gmail....
Mon Apr 21 18:01:50 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

>  This makes sense, I added ipy_jot.py as such to Extensions.
>
>  However, perhaps we should consider making this a bit more transparent
>  to the user as well. ipy_jot.py could be improved so that it would
>  create deferred stubs of all the %jot-ted variables to user_ns on
>  startup, and when the user just enters the variable name it loads up
>  the value (and shows the notes/etc). This can be done with
>  IPython.generics.result_display.

I agree a summary of the stored variable should be shown to the users
upon startup, but I think it might not be the desired behavior to
build deferred stubs of all the jot-ted variables in the user_ns,
because:

1. Users might point the names of these stubs to newly created
objects, and the code that does the loading with
IPython.generics,result_display will successfully display the new
objects and lose the ability to load the variables jotted down.

2. with all the tab-completion that recognize the deferred stubs,
people usually do not want to deal with all the records jotted down.
This is especially true if those variables are different versions of
the data.

-yichun