[IPython-user] [Matplotlib-users] Developing with IPython

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Mon Apr 28 22:32:31 CDT 2008

2008/4/28 G Jones <glenn.caltech@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>  I appologize for a slightly off topic post, but I'm sure someone here
>  knows the answer.

You're probably right, and people are pretty happy to answer things
here in general. You're more likely to get traction for this question
on the IPython mailing list at <ipython-user at scipy.org>, to which I
have also sent this reply.

> I like the idea of developing code interactively
>  with IPython, but I cannot get past one hurdle. I would like to write
>  my code in a module that I then import and instantiate classes or call
>  functions from interactively.

As far as I can tell, this is a popular and common approach, and one I
use exclusively.

> However, when I try to do this in
>  IPython I find that after I import my code, it is cached and even
>  after restarting and reimporting, the changes are not recognized. What
>  is the paradigm people use to get around this, or what is the
>  preferred paradigm for interactive development using IPython.

The method you describe should work without any problem, suggesting to
me that something isn't quite right with your approach yet. Perhaps
you could give a concrete example so we can help debug the problem.

Angus.
--
AJC McMorland, PhD candidate
Physiology, University of Auckland