[IPython-user] %who et al give too much

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 6 14:15:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Michael Graber
<michael@ini.phys.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have the problem that when using %who or %whos, alos %who_ls i do
> not only get the variables and functions defined by myself but also
> loads of of other functions and variables, like in the example at the
> bottom, where only 'data' is a variable i introduced.
>
> I'm using a Mac OS 10.5.3 and ipython 0.8.3.svn.r3001. I've installed
> the readline-2.5.1-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg via easy_install ...
>
> This is not how it was meant to be?! Anybody an idea?

You probably ran a script that declared all those variables, so
technically you probably did define them.

It's also worth noting that in the current release, we control a bit
more the namespace pollution in pylab, which may be some of what
you're seeing here:

bic128[src]$ ipython -pylab
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jul 10 2008, 17:25:56)

IPython 0.9.0.bzr.r1016 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

  Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
  For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

In [1]: %who
Interactive namespace is empty.

We're working hard on getting a release ready, so you should be able
to upgrade soon, if you don't want to run from the bzr trunk (which is
easy nonetheless).