[IPython-user] install for cygwin?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 8 04:44:52 CDT 2008

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm currently running python on cygwin, but lust for shell features in
> IPython. How can one install IPython for Cygwin? I see
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Download
>> CygWin
>
>> IPython works mostly OK, though some users have reported problems
>> with prompt coloring. No satisfactory solution to this has been
>> found so far, you may want to disable colors permanently in the
>> ipythonrc configuration file if you experience problems. If you have
>> proper color support under cygwin, please post to the IPython
>> mailing list so this issue can be resolved for all users.
>
> but no instructions on how to do that. I also didn't see an ipython
> package when running cygwin's setup.exe against
>
> ftp://mirrors/kernel.org
>
> which is usually complete and current. Apologies if this is a FAQ, but
> I also don't see either anything relevant @
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/FAQ

Honestly I don't know much, because I don't use cygwin myself and we
haven't heard from cygwin users in a while.  Recently most win32 users
seem to have been using it natively.  But given how cygwin is mostly a
unix, I'd imagine you could just download the tarball, and in cygwin
type

python setup.py install

using the cygwin python.   That should do the trick, let us know if it doesn't.

As for the colors, just edit the ipythonrc.ini file that ipython
creates and set the colors option to

colors NoColor

if the colored prompts give you trouble.

> or any easy way to search this list.

google('cygwin site:lists.ipython.scipy.org')

is what I use.  Not ideal, I'm afraid, but it gets the job done.