[IPython-user] Workspaces with Embedded IPython

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Aug 14 01:04:51 CDT 2008

Hi Andy

2008/8/13 Domain Admin <adowd@dspthunder.com>:
> I've been working on a program which embeds IPython into a wxPython UI
> using the /gui/wx code included with IPython version 0.8.4.  It took almost
> no time to get it up and running and it looks very professional.  My next
> step was to work out how to allow the wx-UI and IPython command line to
> interact.  I realize there is a fundamental thread issue which must handled,
> but with a little work I should be able to wrap everything with the
> necessary mutexs.  But I'm struggling to find a clean way to allow IPython
> commands implement changes to the UI.  Conversely, I'd like to have access
> to the IPython workspace from the UI.  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

I am glad to see that more and more people are interested in writing
frontends for IPython.  However, I would not want to see efforts
duplicated.  Gaël Varoquaux recently put an inordinate amount of
effort into writing a high-quality wx interface to IPython, based on
the new IPython1 engine.  I believe he is moving in the right
direction with his design, so it would be good if you could take a
look at that.

You can find his code here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~gael-varoquaux/ipython/ipython-sync-frontend

As of tomorrow, this code will be part of the main IPython branch.

Happy coding,
Stéfan