[IPython-user] Workspaces with Embedded IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 14 03:04:07 CDT 2008

Howdy,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:

> I am glad to see that more and more people are interested in writing
> frontends for IPython.  However, I would not want to see efforts
> duplicated.  Gaël Varoquaux recently put an inordinate amount of
> effort into writing a high-quality wx interface to IPython, based on
> the new IPython1 engine.  I believe he is moving in the right
> direction with his design, so it would be good if you could take a
> look at that.

Thanks to Stefan for pitching in.  Indeed, Gael's code uses the new
architecture, and it builds upon the lessons learned from the previous
prototype originally developed by Laurent (Gael in fact hosted an
ipython sprint in March where Laurent was also present).  This code
has also been developed in discussions with Barry Wark who's
implementing a Cocoa one, has a test suite, docstrings and pep-8
conformance, etc.

So I suspect you'd ultimately be much better served by using this
code.  I'm in the process of merging it right now into the trunk,
after Gael was very responsive to all the code review over the last
few days and this afternoon implemented the last set of tests so the
full suite could be run:

Ran 463 tests in 67.811s

Yummy :)

Ok, so it's now been merged, so you can just get it from the trunk at
launchpad (give it a few minutes if the web interface doesn't show it,
it typically lags a few minutes behind the actual repo):

https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/trunk