[IPython-user] Workspaces with Embedded IPython

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou@gmail....
Fri Aug 15 15:20:09 CDT 2008

Hi guys,

Hi ryan, andy,

>My next step was to work out how to allow the wx-UI and IPython command
line to interact.  I realize there is a fundamental thread issue which must
>handled, but with a little work I should be able to wrap everything with
the necessary mutexs.

If you take a look to my code, the threading stuff is only used when I do
make execute a command line to ipython instance. This is mainly to support
ctrl+c while you’ve launched a command. So in your case, you can easily
avoid the usage of mutexes etc

I think that ville has pointed the right documentation. (
<http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/ipython.html#ipython-extension-api>
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/ipython.html#ipython-extension-api)

It should be easy to add some of your vars inside ipython namespace so
you’ll be able to manage your gui with that.

NonBlockingIPShell class has self._IP where you can get the Ipython instance
and play with it.

Anyhow , as fernando said, gael is porting the code to ipython1 and I think
you should take a look at it, because it will be more powerfull, because my
code was some sort of hackish things around ipython,0 that was not thought a
lot for easy gui integration.

I you still keep my code, I can help you a little as I will do the same
thing for an internal app I’m designing for one of my customer.(And any
return from you will be quite interesting J).

Cheers,

Laurent