[IPython-user] Workspaces with Embedded IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 15 16:33:41 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Laurent Dufréchou
<laurent.dufrechou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyhow , as fernando said, gael is porting the code to ipython1 and I think
> you should take a look at it, because it will be more powerfull, because my
> code was some sort of hackish things around ipython,0 that was not thought a
> lot for easy gui integration.

As soon as we get 0.9 out the door in final form, we'll revisit this.
The work Laurent did initially was excellent because it showed that a
good Wx app could be built using ipython, and now Gael has built on
top of those ideas but with a view towards a clean, long-term
maintainable architecture.  Gael's code is fairly lightweight and
meant to serve as a component (no menus, no extra gui elements) that
can be used in other apps such as Enthought's Envisage framework.

We're obviously not going to ship forever two parallel versions of the
same tool, but one possibility is for the functionality in Laurent's
code to be migrated to live on top of Gael's basic Wx mini-shell.
This would give us both a small wx component for embedding and a more
full-featured standalone app.

I'll leave it to Gael and Laurent to move this discussion forward in
the next few weeks, once the storm of the 0.9 release and scipy are
behind us.