[IPython-user] passing negative float as arguments to a script

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 17 01:42:31 CDT 2008

Hi Johann,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Johann Cohen-Tanugi
<cohen@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> [cohen@jarrett ~]$ ipython testneg.py -1
> <long ipython help message>
> WARNING:
> Error in Arguments: "Illegal option '-1'"
>

> So what should I do? I tried some sequences of quotes/double
> quotes/escape char without success.
> thanks in advance :(

The problem is that ipython is itself a program that analyzes argv for
its own options, yet you want argv to 'pass through' to your own
program below.  For stuff like this I have around a little script I
call 'iprun' (I'm attaching it here) that runs programs with ipython's
machinery (exceptions, debugger) but otherwise leaves argv untouched.
You might find it handy.