[IPython-user] broken key inputs after module import

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 17 03:42:43 CDT 2008

Hi Ole,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Ole Trenner <ole@jayotee.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list, so please bear with my ignorance.
>
> I've got a small problem with Ipython 0.8.2, running under Gentoo Linux,
> Python 2.4.4.
>
> After starting ipython, several keys usually have a special meaning. So
> up/down browses through the command history, left/right moves the cursor
> within the current command.
>
> After importing a special module (web.py, v0.23), however, these key
> bindings are broken. Whenever I press one of these keys, only control
> chars like "^[[A" are displayed.
>
> I guess that this has something to do with readline (5.2_p12-r1), but I
> have no idea how it applies to ipython or how to deal with it.
>
> Do you have any idea what's going on there?

sorry you never got a reply.  This is strange, because the behavior
you describe is what you get when readline is *not* installed.  But
I've never seen the case where readline gets 'unloaded' by some other
module (esp. because the bulk of readline is in extension code, so
disabling it isn't obvious in python).  If you are still having this
problem, I'd suggest contacting the web.py authors, because they seem
to be doing something rather funky.