[IPython-user] readline egg on leopard

Andreas Kemkes a5sk4s@yahoo....
Sun Aug 17 15:29:37 CDT 2008

From going through the archives, I can imagine that you probably have heard enough, but here it goes:

I've tried to follow http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/InstallationOSXLeopard, but I'm getting

============ Building the readline extension module ============

Modules/readline.c: In function ‘py_remove_history’:Modules/readline.c: In function ‘py_remove_history’:

... (details omitted - you have probably seen them before - I have seen them in the archive)

lipo: can't open input file: /var/tmp//ccozgAFi.out (No such file or directory)
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

So then I found a post in the archive by Ludwig Schwardt http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ipython.user/3569 and made use of the information with the following outcome:

Searching for readline
Reading http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline/2.5.1
Best match: readline 2.5.1
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/r/readline/readline-2.5.1.tar.gz#md5=1bc37e7c184bee00c2c2230630fae1d2
Processing readline-2.5.1.tar.gz
Running readline-2.5.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-Kbsd3Z/readline-2.5.1/egg-dist-tmp-1_4m9A
No eggs found in /tmp/easy_install-Kbsd3Z/readline-2.5.1/egg-dist-tmp-1_4m9A (setup script problem?)

So now I'm stuck.  Is my Python installation broken?  All I wanted to accomplish - and I'm not experienced in Python -  is to query it for the SVN libraries and install some newer ones to get around yet another issue.  I thought that IPython might help me and hope it does.

Mac OS X version 10.5.4 on Intel

Any thoughts, hints, or direct help is very much appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I am not necessarily familiar with Python jargon, so commands, links, etc. are really useful.

And if the installation is indeed corrupt, how do I get it back to normal on Leopard - reinstall developer tools? - or is there something more granular?  That's probably for another list, but I'm asking it anyway.

Thanks.