[IPython-user] YA problem with OSX

Andrea Riciputi mr.rech.list@gmail....
Thu Aug 28 09:20:57 CDT 2008

Hi everybody,
I'm very sorry to annoy you with this issue, but I still having
problem with IPython+OSX(Leopard)+readline.

After a while not using python (sigh!), now I'm about to start a new
project and i'm back to it, and of course to ipython (v0.8.4). Having
OSX Leopard (10.5.4) installed, I just typed in "sudo easy_install
ipython" and got it.

However the new libedit seems not to do a good job when i try to
browse my history, especially when I have some multi-line entry like
this:

In [1]: for i in [1,2,3]:
    ...:     print i

When I try to go back along the history I got the lines above
completely scrambled.

So I tried to install readline module again using easy_instal and got
it. But now I've lost my libedit bindings and I'm not able to set them
back using readline (it seems that ~/.inputrc file is not read at all).

What I'd prefere is to fix libedit misbehaviour and stay with it, but
even using readline could be ok (provided I can set my own key
bindings).

Please could anyone give me some hints?

Thanks in advance,
  Andrea