[IPython-user] IPython with Python 3.0

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Dec 8 15:30:17 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Jörgen Stenarson
> <jorgen.stenarson@bostream.nu> wrote:
>
>> I think the new except syntax (PEP 3110) where "except exc, var"
>> changes to "except exc as var" is a bigger problem than print in getting
>> ipython to compile directly on both 2.x and 3.0. I counted 78 occurences
>> of this usage of the except statement in the ipython codebase.
>
> It seems that has been backported to 2.6. So, the 3.0 branch will
> require 2.6 or later (incl 3.0). I don't think we should have a pure
> 3.0 branch just now...

Agreed.  If someone wants to *play* with a 2to3 run it would provide
useful info to know how big the problem is, but since it will probably
be a while before we can abandon 2.4 and 2.5, I don't envision a 2.6-3
branch being an active target quite yet.

I suspect what will happen is that at some point we'll simply have to
tag a version as the last ipython available for 2.5, and start making
backwards-incompatible changes.  We can always backport specific
critical fixes to that release if needed, but likely at that point all
new development will be done on the 2.6 trunk.  We may be able to keep
this code 2.6-3 valid: the except issue is not a problem in this case,
as you point out, and we'll need to find out about others.