[IPython-user] terminal colour howto request.

Matt Foster matt.p.foster@gmail....
Tue Dec 9 03:32:33 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM, mark starnes
<m.starnes05@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Embarrassed to ask this as I'm sure it's detailed in a manual somewhere
> (but I can't find it!) but....
>
> How can I write to the terminal in colour?  I've looked through some of
> the IPython code but couldn't spot the info I needed.  I tried importing
> curses; I don't seem to have it installed, and IPython is using colour
> so I imagine there is another way.
>
> A short example would be appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

Your question prompted me to poke around the source, and I found
IPython.ColorANSI. Here's an example that print the available colours:

from IPython.ColorANSI import TermColors

colors = TermColors()

print 'IPython Colors:'
for color in dir(colors):
    if not color.startswith('_'):
        print getattr(colors, color), color

print colors.Blue, 'blue', colors.Red, 'green'

I hope this helps,

Matt

--
Matt Foster | http://hackerific.net