[IPython-user] dreload numpy - source dir error

Wed Dec 10 03:00:23 CST 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:

> I see the problem by using dreload(), but I can't reproduce  it by
> manually calling the pieces of the code that break in that traceback.
>
> I opened a bug report for it so we can properly track it from now on:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipython/+bug/306805
>
> As I mention there, it's possible (though I don't know for sure) that
> the problem is in numpy itself, or perhaps ipython is making an
> incorrect call somewhere that confuses numpy.
>
> Honestly, dreload() is fairly brittle code, so any improvements on
> this front will be very welcome.

The involved numpy part is pretty brittle as well, because of
bootstrapping issues (we need to be able to import some  part of numpy
to build numpy), and brittle + brittle is rarely equal to robust in my
experience :)

David