[IPython-user] Ipython and multiprocessing

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Dec 17 10:33:00 CST 2008

> IMHO multiprocessing would perfectly blend in with IPython's parallel
> computing properties, especially for trivial parallelization on SMP
> machines, because one does not need to start and keep track of an
> ipcluster.

As an aside, we really would like to have good integration with
multiprocessing.  We have been doing a lot of work on ipcluster lately
(merged into trunk, but not released) that will make it much easier to
start an ipcluster in a wider range on contexts.  Eventually, you will
be able start an IPython cluster in a similar that you can create a
Pool in multiprocessing.  The big challenge for us is that we need to
support a much wider range of environments (like MPI, PBS, XGrid,
GRidEngine, etc., etc., etc.).  Collapsing all of these dow to a
single:

pool = Pool(2)

is a *extremely* difficult task.  But, we are well of the way and
think this problem _can* be solved.  Any, of course, all of this will
work interactively.

But, we would love help to make sure that IPython and multiprocessing
play well together.

Cheers,

Brian