[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] Development plans update

Francesc Altet faltet@carabos....
Tue Feb 5 05:46:07 CST 2008

A Tuesday 05 February 2008, Ville M. Vainio escrigué:
> On Feb 5, 2008 10:29 AM, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:
> > Now that I think about it, why not use the existing %bg magic
> > command to force an asynchronous command to happen?  That way, it
> > wouldn't be necessary the existence of different
> > synchronous/asynchronous modes, but rather, the default would
> > always be synchronous and the user will decide when he wants to
> > throw an asynchronous job.  This also may help
>
> %bg is a different thing, async jobs would still happen in order
> (they are put on queue).
>
> I was thinking of something like this:
>
> - a = Foo()
>
> This is synchronous
>
> - &a= Foo()

> This returns immediately and is executed asynchronously

Yes.  I meant something like this.

> - Automatic determination:
>
> %autoasync
>
> a = Foo()
>
> This blocks for a few seconds, then sees that it's a "long-lasting
> command" and gives the prompt again (entering asynchronous mode until
> the queue is empty again)

Ouch.  That can be powerful for advanced users, but a pretty scaring for
others (me included), I'm afraid.

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"