[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] Development plans update

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Tue Feb 5 09:59:02 CST 2008

> > Ouch.  That can be powerful for advanced users, but a pretty scaring for
> > others (me included), I'm afraid.
>
> Yeah, that's why it would need to be enabled separately. Fully
> synchronous operation should be default for "normal" users.

I realize that asynchronous mode is very different from what ipython
offers today (especially from the developers perspective).  At the
same time, it is the default for Mathematica.  You can start a bunch
of cells executing and they remain highlighted until they are done -
as they complete 1 by 1, they display their results.  To make it
intuitive for the user, you just need a good UI that reflects the
asynchronous concepts.  But, blocking mode will definitely be the
default for a terminal based ipython and possibly for GUI based ones
as well.