[IPython-user] ipython console: how to eliminate wasted carriage returns

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Feb 6 10:42:53 CST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 6:06 PM, Josef Novak <josef.robert.novak@gmail.com> wrote:

> The configuration detail I was looking for was:
> # Remove all blank lines in between prompts, like a normal shell.
> o.separate_in="0"
> o.separate_out="0"
> o.separate_out2="0"
>
> adding these lines to my ipy_defaults.py file produced the desired
> effect.  No more wasted newlines.

You should not edit ipy_defaults.py, edit ~/.ipython/ipy_user_conf.py

> One final question though, these above lines seem to be a default
> configuration for ipy_profile_sh, but these are obviously not the
> default values for options for a new instance of ipapi.get() .  They
> seem to default to '1' if they are not explicitly specified.  Where
> are those defaults actually set?

The defaults are set in ipmaker.py.  But really, there is only one
instance of ipapi throughout the existence of IPython  and you are
probably confusing something.