[IPython-user] Can I embed iPython in a PyGtk app?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Feb 13 09:44:30 CST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 5:01 PM,  <skip@pobox.com> wrote:

> There's lots of mention of Gtk in the iPython documentation and a section on
> embedding iPython, but I don't see any mention of embedding iPython in a
> PyGtk app.  Can this be done?  If not, is there a way to run my PyGtk app
> from within iPython so that I can monitor the app's state?

If you just want to monitor the app state (without interaction with
the event loop), it should be trivial:

- launch your app from normal terminal window, so that the terminal
window remains open
- Launch IPython session like this:
http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk/test/test_embed.py
- Do the "ses.mainloop()" part in a separate thread if you don't want
to block your event loop