[IPython-user] mac os leopard install clarification

Barry Wark barrywark@gmail....
Wed Feb 13 10:29:31 CST 2008

Stephen,

The short answer is that you should be OK. The long answer is somewhat
more complicated (as always). I'm not an Apple employee or expert in
python. You may be able to get more details or at least a confirmation
of what's below on the pythonmac-sig list.

Here's my understanding of things:

In Leopard, /System/Library/Python.framework/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
comes before /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/ on the sys.path.
Therefore, any non-setuptools aware modules will be detected after the
system versions of e.g., twisted. If, however, you use setuptools
(EasyInstall) to install packages, setutools takes care of putting the
latest version first on the sys.path. Anything supplied by Apple (ie
system tools/utilties etc.) should use setuptool's facilities to
ensure that they use the system version of all packages that they
depend on. So, you should be fine installing up-to-date
numpy/scipy/matplotllib/ipython etc. without interfering with system
tools.

Twisted is the major bad egg (sorry, bad pun) in the whole process.
Because twisted doesn't play with setuptools, you can't easily install
a newer version of Twisted (ipython1 requires a Twisted 2.5, but
Leopard ships with a stripped-down version of Twisted 2.4). In order
to install Twisted 2.5 (or other non EasyInstall-able packages, you
have to play with PYTHONPATH (search for a previous post by Brian
Granger) _or_ make the package EasyInstallable). There's a branch in
the Twisted repository that makes Twisted EasyInstallable (it seems to
be only a few changes to the setup.py scripts). I'm not sure when (or
if) the Twisted folks plan to merge this into trunk, but I've had
success with installing and using this branch for ipython1 (via
EasyInstall). You can find the branch at:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/branches/easy_install-1286-3.

Good luck,
Barry