[IPython-user] yet another leopard/readline question

Glenn grpython@sonic....
Sat Feb 23 16:02:25 CST 2008

Hi,

I'm running 10.5.2 on a PPC and I'm not having much luck getting
readline to play nicely with ipython.

I tried 'sudo easy_install -f http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/
readline', which did a lot of successful work until it got to:

============ Building the readline extension module ============

where it did a traceback, the last entry of which was:

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/
lib/python/setuptools/command/build_ext.py", line 77, in swig_sources
     sources = _build_ext.swig_sources(self, sources) or sources
TypeError: swig_sources() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)

which looks, to me, like an error in the Apple supplied python scripts.

So I downloaded the egg from http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/readline-2.5.1-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg
.
After putting it in my PYTHONPATH (/Library/Python/2.5/site-
packages/), ipython ignores its existence. On startup ipython declares
'Leopard libedit detected.' and the up and down arrows do their funky
thing navigating the command history.

Is there something else I need to do so ipython can find and use
readline?

Glenn