[IPython-user] scrollback editing bug under OSX 10.5

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 11:54:40 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 9:14 AM, Noah Gift <noah.gift@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has there been any headway on this problem? It renders ipython nearly
> > unusable on OSX (unless you are using really short commands).
>
> Unfortunately no.  I fortunately have linux boxes everywhere, so I do
> my dev work in IPython on those.  I would be willing to spend some
> time on IRC working out a solution with someone though.

I spoke with Brian Granger about this (he's a full-time Leopard user),
and he seemed convinced that the real problem was in Leopard's
readline-like library.  I'm sure he'll pitch in to provide further
insight on this, but I think his approach was simply to install python
from python.org separately and use that for his own work, which did
away with the problem altogether.

It's a solution I really don't like a whole lot, but it seems in this
case the problem is outside our control.  I'd love to be proven wrong
though, if someone knows how to mess with Apple's library (even a
ctypes-based hack might be OK, since ctypes is now included in 2.5).