[IPython-user] scrollback editing bug under OSX 10.5

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 12:13:07 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 11:04 AM, Noah Gift <noah.gift@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I spoke with Brian Granger about this (he's a full-time Leopard user),
> > and he seemed convinced that the real problem was in Leopard's
> > readline-like library.  I'm sure he'll pitch in to provide further
> > insight on this, but I think his approach was simply to install python
> > from python.org separately and use that for his own work, which did
> > away with the problem altogether.
> >
> > It's a solution I really don't like a whole lot, but it seems in this
> > case the problem is outside our control.  I'd love to be proven wrong
> > though, if someone knows how to mess with Apple's library (even a
> > ctypes-based hack might be OK, since ctypes is now included in 2.5).
>
> I think a lot of people would love a simple how-to.  I know you have a
> massive user base waiting with PyObjc developers waiting get into
> IPython, so the sooner the better :)

Would that how-to be "install python from python.org" and run from
there?  I'm hesitant to put anything up on the wiki speaking about
OSX, since I don't actually use the platform myself, but obviously
this is high priority.  So let's collect a bit more feedback on the
list from our actual OSX experts, and we'll put up at least a summary
page with our current best knowledge of the problem (even if it
involves a sub-optimal solution regarding apple's builtin library).

So all OSX experts, we're waiting for you :)