[IPython-user] ipython problems within Carbon Emacs on Leopard

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck@gmx....
Fri Jan 11 13:22:16 CST 2008

kmt@ftml.net writes:

> Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck@gmx.net> writes:
>
>>> 1) One problem is the prompt looks like this:
>>>
>>>    "^A^BIn [^A^B20^A^B]:^A^B"
>>
>> This looks like the display of ansi escape sequences that ipython uses to
>> colorify the text is broken. I have no idea why that would happen, maybe
>> emacs's ansi-color (which ipython.el uses, precisely so that the output isn't
>> displayed as above :) is broken on Leopard?
>>
>> The relevant line in python.el is: (after require'ing 'ansi-color)
>>
>>   (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
>>
>> I think you can also toggle that interactively (M-x
>> ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on), you could try and see whether turning it on or
>> off changes anything.
>
> Hm, it doesn't seem to be the ansi-color-for-comint-mode.  If I switch
> it off, it becomes worse.

Well, that doesn't rule it out to my mind -- if it's broken it likely does
something (and thus makes a difference). From the top of my head I can think
of anything apart from (garbled) ansi stuff that could cause the screen
garbage, but of course that doesn't mean much. Are the non-garbled portions
properly colored?

What happens if you tell ipython.el to use python instead of ipython? (IIRC
typing Esc : (setq ipython-command "python") should do that, but editing
ipython.el will certainly work).

cheers,

'as

p.s. fernando: just a suggestion, but wouldn't it make sense to change the
reply-to default for this list to list ? that's what pretty much all the other
python lists I subscribe to seem to be using and thus I constantly find myself
sending replies only privately and then have to repost them to the
ipython-list.