[IPython-user] crash with ipython

humufr@yah... humufr@yah...
Fri Jan 11 13:13:21 CST 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to learn a little bit PyQt and when I was doing some test with
ipython I did a mistake and ipython crash. Because this behavior is
systematic I think it's better to tell you.

The method to do the crash is pretty simple:

IPython 0.8.3.svn.r2919 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: from PyQt4.QtCore import *

In [2]: from PyQt4.QtGui import *

In [3]: QTextBrowser?
Type:           wrappertype
Base Class:     <type 'sip.wrappertype'>
String Form:    <class 'PyQt4.QtGui.QTextBrowser'>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so
Docstring:
    <no docstring>

In [4]: browser = QTextBrowser()
QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
Abandon (core dumped)

Another thing, ipython crash also when I tried to run two time a PyQt
application:

In [1]: run calculate

In [2]: run calculate
ASSERT failure in QCoreApplication: "there should be only one application
object", file kernel/qcoreapplication.cpp, line 418
Abandon (core dumped)

Perhaps this behavior is expected but in case I prefer to report it to the
developpers.

Thanks for ipython.

N.