[IPython-user] setting options interactively

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 12 12:08:22 CST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 10:12 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 5:26 PM, Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
>
> > is it possible to set options (those from ipythonrc(.ini))
> > interactively? There are a few ones (like pprint/%Pprint) but what
> > about the other ones?
>
> Yes, just use _ip.options
>
> [Q:/ipython]|1> _ip.options.au<TAB>
> _ip.options.autocall        _ip.options.autoindent
> _ip.options.autoedit_syntax _ip.options.automagic
> _ip.options.autoexec
> [Q:/ipython]|1> _ip.options.automagic = 0
>
> You should note that many options only count when starting up IPython,
> for example assigning to 'colors' does not automatically change the
> color scheme.

It's worth noting that we'll fix that with the new config system.
Currently we have a hodgepodge of manual settings and magics that do
the extra work needed to flip the option and update other things (like
%colors), but in the future, TConfig (currently in ipython1) will
allow us to always do the right thing, by hooking trait change
listeners into the options structure.

More on that coming later...