[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] IPython development news and prospects

Francesc Altet faltet@carabos....
Tue Jan 15 12:56:59 CST 2008

A Tuesday 15 January 2008, Jörgen Stenarson escrigué:
[...]
> > The only downside tconfig has is a dependence on Enthought Traits,
> > which has C code.  The upsides are vast, including a *clean* way of
> > handling many of the configuration-related problems that pop up
> > here all the time.  We can have a separate discussion thread for
> > this topic later if you want, because I think it's the only
> > potentially contentious one and we don't want to ram it down
> > anyone's throat.
>
> I think having C code in the project will be a major drawback in
> getting new developers on windows. Getting a compiler working can be
> a lot of work. But the positive aspects of using something trait-like
> seems it could definitely be worth it.

Yeah, and not only that, but also the deployment of ipython would be
more difficult for people that just wants to give ipython a quick try
(and that would be valid for all platforms).  So, I would avoid
including C code in ipython.  If you really need Traits, I wonder is
there is a plain python implementation for it (after all, my guess is
that ipython is not needing a lot of performance on that side).

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"