[IPython-user] Traits and IPython (was: IPython development news and prospects)

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 16 00:15:38 CST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 12:20 PM, Darren Dale <darren.dale@cornell.edu> wrote:

> I don't understand the resistance to depending on a package that includes
> extension code. I could better understand resistance to adding external
> dependencies of any kind, but as long as they are easy to install, does it
> make a difference if they include extension code? The inclusion of TConfig
> would not add any C-code to the IPython codebase, so it shouldn't be a
> drawback to new developers on windows.

Well, in addition to the points made by Brian, it's also true that
Traits in full isn't a small package:

maqroll[site-packages]> du -sh enthought.traits-2.0b2-py2.5-linux-i686.egg/
3.5M    enthought.traits-2.0b2-py2.5-linux-i686.egg/

A recent look at the source tree for traits 3 gave me, after an svn
export, 13 MB.

One thing that we've recently gained a new appreciation for is size:
to me, the inclusion of ipython in the OLPC  XO is great.  The XO
already has numpy, so basically by only adding pylab with a GTK/Cairo
backend, we could have every kid with an XO having, for free, a
'matlab-lite' environment accessible to them.

I know the XO guys are *ruthless* when it comes to file sizes, because
their environment is very, very size-constrained.  Adding 3 MB (or
more, if the Traits3 binary is really larger) just for our config
system may be enough to be an issue.