[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] IPython development news and prospects

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 16 01:11:44 CST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 12:50 PM, Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck@gmx.net> wrote:
> "Fernando Perez" <fperez.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > We'll look into the licensing issues regarding Qt4, and whether we
> > have to distribute that code as a standalone subproject to avoid GPL
> > contamination.
>
> Qt's license (and very recently pyqt's too) has gotten a lot more liberal; as
> I understand it you can write stuff under several quite liberal OSS licenses
> (including BSD, which ipython uses) that depends on (py)Qt.
>
> <http://www.nabble.com/License-question...-td14746208.html>

Thanks for that info.  As Phil T. says in the end, the exception ends
up being very gpl-like, but they at least explicitly list BSD as an OK
license, so it doesn't seem like we need to go into namespace or
package breakdown mode quite yet.   That's good.