[IPython-user] Several problems with cp720 (Arabic Windows-1256)

Diaa Sami diaasami@gmail....
Wed Jan 16 10:57:20 CST 2008

Jörgen Stenarson wrote:
> Diaa,
>
> The problem is that current versions of python does not support cp720.
> After some googling it seems there are fixes in the trunk for python but
> that doesn't help us.
>
> For me (using swedish windows) the default codepage of the cmd.exe is
> cp850. But there is a mismatch to the encoding used in the filesystem
> which makes it more convenient for me to always launch cmd.exe such that
> it switches to cp1252 using the command chcp 1252. Perhaps you could try
> to do the same but with chcp 1256 to get arabic.
>
> You could also try adding:
> import pyreadline.unicode_helper
> pyreadline.unicode_helper.pyreadline_codepage="cp1256"
>
> to force pyreadline to use another codepage than the default, however
> this may not work if there is a mismatch between 1256 and 720.
>
> Please let us know how it goes
>
> /Jörgen

Sorry for the late reply.
thanks for the info about changing the cmd.exe encoding, I think I'll stick to it until python
supports cp720, I just thought that in the mean time IPython can be modified so that it works
without troubles on systems with Arabic locale.

Diaa Sami