[IPython-user] Traits and IPython (was: IPython development news and prospects)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jan 16 14:20:22 CST 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 12:20 PM, Darren Dale <darren.dale@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the resistance to depending on a package that includes
>> extension code. I could better understand resistance to adding external
>> dependencies of any kind, but as long as they are easy to install, does it
>> make a difference if they include extension code? The inclusion of TConfig
>> would not add any C-code to the IPython codebase, so it shouldn't be a
>> drawback to new developers on windows.
>
> Well, in addition to the points made by Brian, it's also true that
> Traits in full isn't a small package:
>
> maqroll[site-packages]> du -sh enthought.traits-2.0b2-py2.5-linux-i686.egg/
> 3.5M    enthought.traits-2.0b2-py2.5-linux-i686.egg/
>
> A recent look at the source tree for traits 3 gave me, after an svn
> export, 13 MB.

The explosion is size is mostly due to your counting the PDF, OpenOffice, and
PowerPoint docs. There is another big chunk (on our part) in including image
files for the Traits UI theme engine which could be stripped out, and also the
demos and tutorials are still inside the package itself when they could be moved
out. This doesn't alter your main point, but I just wanted to explain the 13 MB.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco