[IPython-user] ^a and ^e broken on Leopard?

Markus Weimer markus.weimer@gmail....
Sun Jan 20 19:28:38 CST 2008

Hi,

> > it seems to me that cursor movements with ^a, ^e etc. are broken on
> > Leopard. It seems to work, yet the display is not updated
> > appropriately. This problem is consistent in Terminal.app, iTerm and
> > xterm so I guess it's not a terminal emulator bug.
>
> I can't duplicate this behavior in Terminal.app or xterm (don't have
> iTerm lying around anymore).

Strange. I did a fresh install of the OS and currently fail to see what
could be wrong...

> I tested it on the Leopard Python w/ the recent readline fix installed
> (although I think I remember it being fine previously as well).

What do you mean with "recent readline fix installed"? I thought it was a
mere

import readline
readline.parse_and_bind ("bind ^I rl_complete")

at the prompt?

> Is this just happening in IPython for you, or is it in any terminal
> in general?

Only ipython seems to be affected as far as I can tell. The stock python
prompt works as expected. I found another symptom of the problem, though:
When I use the up key to get to the history, the history is sometimes
appended to the current line. This does not affect the actual action called
when I hit enter on this line of the history. So it all seems to be a
problem in the display code...

Thanks again,

Markus