[IPython-user] Ruminations on Leo + IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jan 29 14:06:31 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:55 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted something that might be of interest to people who want an
> IPython notebook to the Leo SF forums:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1911662&forum_id=10226
>
> Basically, with any luck & my teacher's willing (I'm a part-time
> student), I can really dedicate nome time to make this happen...

I think this is excellent; Leo has a strong community and a good
following, so definitely better integration between the two will be a
plus for all.

We'll want to make sure that we get good modularity in the various
components, so that we can really reuse the key abstractions (an
'ipython engine' that can execute python code and provide all the
goodies of today's ipython) across:

- A terminal-based in-process ipython, much like today's
- WX/Qt/GTK graphical shells.
- A browser-based (javascript) environment
- As nodes of a parallel/distributed computing environment.
- Leo
- etc...

The important point is that the core API for *all* of these things is
pretty much the same, and we already have all the pieces, it's just a
matter of separating the components cleanly so we get good
reusability.

I'll send a separate email now about plans...