[IPython-user] Ruminations on Leo + IPython

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Tue Jan 29 14:43:14 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:06 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is excellent; Leo has a strong community and a good
> following, so definitely better integration between the two will be a
> plus for all.

Yeah, and it will open entirely new doors - back-and-forth
communication between editor and IPython.

> We'll want to make sure that we get good modularity in the various
> components, so that we can really reuse the key abstractions (an
> 'ipython engine' that can execute python code and provide all the
> goodies of today's ipython) across:

The machinery that will be used (and exist already) is launching an
ipshellembed from inside Leo (that prints & raw_inputs on the terminal
leo.py was launched from). Any additional IPython stuff I will write
use the existing extension mechanisms (creating new magics, completers
etc.). I don't see much need for IPython 'core' changes, and the stuff
should be portable to future iteration of IPython.

> The important point is that the core API for *all* of these things is
> pretty much the same, and we already have all the pieces, it's just a
> matter of separating the components cleanly so we get good
> reusability.

Yeah, there wont be much need to tamper with ipapi (as far as
single-process IPython versions go at least).

I believe even the current IPython would be quite easy to make more
modular, i.e. separate I/O from the execution core.