[IPython-user] Ruminations on Leo + IPython

Kent Tenney ktenney@gmail....
Tue Jan 29 15:01:38 CST 2008

Howdy from the Leo camp,

The prospect of IPython and Leo collaborating is very exciting!

On Jan 30, 2008 1:23 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 8:57 PM, Flavio Coelho <fccoelho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting ideas,
> >  Leo is the editor that I "would love to love (and use)" but can't really do
> > anything useful with it...

I'm at that stage with IPython, I can tell it's great, but haven't
yet been able to incorporate it into my work habits.

> > Maybe if you can get it integrated with Ipython, I will finally be able to
> > use it
>
> Do not make the mistake of trying to develop a program with it ;-)

Some of us find it a wonderful tool for developing programs. :-]

> Using it for programming requires drinking a dose of 'literate
> programming' kool-aid, which may not be your cup of tea

Not at all. Leo doesn't `require` any kool-aid,
all it's `literate` capabilities are completely optional.

> (esp. if you
> are trying to start with an existing code base).

The issue of sentinels in source files has been addressed,
Leo plays very nicely with existing code bases.

> However, try to use it like I do - to maintain notes & organize your
> thoughts. I currently do defect-fixing as my day job, so I have nodes
> for all my defects, and I attach bug tracker notes, emails, call
> stacks, chat conversations etc. to the defects to have them neatly
> organized.

I depend on Leo for many aspects of my work, and use it very
differently than you do, and most of the folks on the Leo mailing
list seem to use it differently than I do, and each other.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Leo.
As with IPython, there's a lot of wonderful
capability that isn't apparent at first glance.

Thanks,
Kent