[IPython-user] Ruminations on Leo + IPython

Edward Ream edreamleo@yahoo....
Wed Jan 30 07:23:24 CST 2008

[quote]
Is Leo for Windows only?  I downloaded 4.4.6 and found:

    * no tar file
    * MANIFEST contains CRLF line endings which "unzip -a" didn't
      autoconvert
    * MANIFEST contains Windows directory separators
    * python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/local didn't appear to actually
      install anything (there was certainly no ~/local/bin/leo to be found).
    * the install script seems very un-Unixish

So, I've unpacked the zip file.  What am I supposed to run, src/leo.py?
[end quote]

I agree. And Steve Rogers is correct--I could indeed use help polishing Leo's cross
platform install.  In the words of Randy Pausch: I'm sorry I wrote
such a lousy piece of software :-)

http://leo.zwiki.org/LeoPackages contains some recent work to make
leo a proper Python package in ~/local/bin/leo
but this won't help anyone in the short term.  If anyone can suggest
improvements in these pages I would be most grateful.
Eventually, I'd like to have proper debian and rpm packages.

As Kent suggests, the easiest way might be to do a cvs checkout:

cvs -d :pserver:guest@cvs.tigris.org:/cvs login

  cvs -d :pserver:guest@cvs.tigris.org:/cvs checkout leo

Anyway, one of the many things I admire about IPython is its excellent distribution practices.  Leo could definitely emulate IPython in this regard.

Edward

Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo@yahoo.com