[IPython-user] ipython question

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 31 01:54:38 CST 2008

On Dec 13, 2007 12:49 AM, Lionel Roubeyrie <lroubeyrie@limair.asso.fr> wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
> don't know if I have to send this request on the scipy mailing-list or the
> matplotlib one, so excuse me to send this mail directly to you.
> I just want to know if it's possible to have IPython like the R shell, where
> the option to save the session is a choice at the logout, not in the ipython
> call (-logFile).
> thanks

You can always call %logstart at any point, but ipython doesn't
currently ask for it.  However, ipython has a shutdown_hook (see
hooks.py), so you could register a little function that asks you upon
exit and forces log creation.  So this is easy enough for you to
customize if you like that behavior.

If you do it, we'd appreciate you making a Cookbook entry in the
ipython wiki, since it may be of use to others.