[IPython-user] Puzzled

Dick Moores rdmoores@gmail....
Sat Jul 12 08:50:59 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Dick Moores <rdmoores@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I just tried to do something on IPython that works fine at the Win XP
>>> command line:
>>>
>>> In [26]: python setup.py build
>>>   File "<ipython console>", line 1
>>>     python setup.py build
>>>                ^
>>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>
>>> What should I do instead? And where could have looked this up?
>
> - You can do !python setup.py build

Yes! Thank you!

> - You could use the sh profile that more closely resembles command

I can find nothing in quickref on the sh profile. I did find 'profile, but:

In [21]: profile
No profile active.

> line (and you don't need to type the !)
> - You can run %rehashx

Why do you suggest rehashx? I ran it, and now I have 637 aliases! (see
<http://py77.python.pastebin.com/f5833010>). So?

> %quickref gives you a quick reference with this information.

Yes, I'd seen it before. Now I have it in a text file.

Thanks,

Dick