[IPython-user] Some starting-out IPython questions

Ryan James rgjames@ucdavis....
Sat Jul 12 16:09:41 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 06:53 -0700, Dick Moores wrote:
> 2. I see that timeit can be used this way:
> In [22]: timeit x = 2; x**x
> 10000000 loops, best of 3: 201 ns per loop
>
> But how to use it with, say,
>
> for x in range(1000):
>    x**x

def f():
        for x in range(1000):
                x**x
timeit f()

> 3. What does
>  ipython  -quick
> do?
>
> I found this in my C:\Documents and Settings\Riley\_ipython\ipythonrc.ini:
>
> # quick 1 -> same as ipython -quick
> quick 1
>
> I changed it to 0 to see if I could see the difference. I
> couldn't--possibly because I didn't know what to look for. So, what
> does    ipython -quick   do?

doesn't load any config files.  for a full list of command line options,
you can check out the documentation:
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/index.html#regular-options