[IPython-user] Ipython-matplotlib thread issue

Arnar Flatberg arnar.flatberg@gmail....
Thu Jul 17 02:13:17 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Arnar Flatberg
> <arnar.flatberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Interactive matplotlib shuts down on me.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I do not have an example to reproduce the error. I don't even
> > have a feeling when it happens. However, better to get it reported than
> be
> > quiet,right?
> >
> > I am using ipython from trunk (0.9.0.bzr.r1016 on python2.5, ubuntu 8.04
> > x86) and when working interactive with matplotlib (-pylab) I have (just a
> > couple of times) recieved the warning:
> >
> > Warning: Timeout for mainloop thread exceeded
> > switching to nonthreaded mode (until mainloop wakes up again)
> >
> > After this warning, the matplotlib figures will no longer show or an
> empty
> > figure pops up. Well, I am guessing my pylab thread got killed, right?
>
> Mmh, I haven't seen that.   That  warning comes from a refactoring
> that Ville did a few months back to make the threaded code supposedly
> more robust. I'm sure he'll be able to provide some further info.  He
> might be able to suggest how to trigger a failure, case in which we
> could try to fix it further.
>
> We'll see where this goes after feedback from Ville (or anyone else
> who's knowledgeable on the matter).
>
> Regards,

Thanks for the response Fernando. I still cant give a reproducible example
of failure. But the same thing happened to me yesterday, and at least I was
paying more attention this time. I do not know if it helps but this is my
typical scenario of mentioned problem:

1.) I have worked in the ipython shell for quite some time (4-5 hours)
2.) I work with fairly large datasets (500 MB - 1.5 GB), and quite a few of
them
3.) I have a cocurrent R-session through rpy

Now, the above mentioned warning happened after I was looking up a function
signature (of a local python package) with `?`. There was a period of about
5 seconds of wait (processing, nothing happens) before the warning pops up.
Also, ipython freezed when quiting (q), I had to kill the session myself.

Hope this may help,

Arnar