[IPython-user] Seems to be a bug in the verbose setting

Dick Moores rdm@rcblue....
Fri Jul 18 07:37:25 CDT 2008

I'm trying out   xmode Verbose   in my ipythonrc.ini .  I think I see a bug.

I have a module with a bunch of functions in it. I have IPython
import all of these when it starts. One is asin_deg().

In [2]: asin_deg(2)
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)

E:\Python25\Scripts\<ipython console> in <module>()

E:\Python25\lib\site-packages\mine\mycalc.pyc in asin_deg(a=2, c=1)
      38     """
      39     from math import asin, degrees
---> 40     return degrees(asin(a*1.0/c))
         global Setting = undefined
         global sig_digits = undefined
         global to = undefined
         global will = undefined
         global set = undefined
         global it = undefined
      41
      42 def cos_deg(n):

ValueError: math domain error

Of course, the  'ValueError: math domain error' is correct.  For
asin_deg(x),  -1 < x < 1 must hold.

However, the report    'global Setting = undefined'   is weird. The
word 'Setting' appears in that module only once, in the docstring for
another function. It is never a variable. The same holds for 'to',
'will', and 'it'.

Dick Moores