[IPython-user] Eclipse, Pydev, and IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jul 19 02:57:06 CDT 2008

Hey Ryan,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran acrossed a couple of threads about IPython and Ecplise via
> PyDev, but don't see any resolution.  I am curious if Ecplise can
> easily be made to use IPython instead of python when it runs a script.
>  As I try and force python on more students, the dos prompt looking
> IPython and having to cd to the correct directory still frightens
> some.  Eclipse has a nice run button that makes it feel IDE-ish.  But
> if I plot something and don't close the windows and then run the
> script again, it seems like it spawns a new python thread and creates
> more windows.  This is what I would expect from not using IPython
> (which it currently isn't).
>
> Has anyone out there easily configured eclispe and IPython to play together?

Sorry for the silence: no idea.  I don't use eclipse myself (the few
times I've tried it I've run screaming after seeing it start).

> Alternatively, I was thinking of creating a little wxPython app that
> is basically an IPython console with browse and edit buttons.  The
> edit button would just make a system call that opens whatever file we
> are currently running in a editor that has been specified in the
> preferences or something.  Basically, can I make IPython, matplotlib,
> and scipy feel enough like matlab that my students are less
> intimitated by the forced switch.

Gael has made phenomenal progress on that front (using wx) in the last
few days.   Stay tuned (he'll be at scipy too, so we can talk about
this further).