[IPython-user] confirm exit 0 the default?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jul 22 03:18:05 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find that I am always setting the confirm exit to 0 in my
> .ipython/ipythonrc each time I install ipython.
>
> What does the majority of users prefer? confirm exit 0 or 1 by default?
>
> I found in docs/attic/ChangeLog
>
> 2002-11-02  Fernando Perez  <fperez@colorado.edu>
>
>    * IPython/UserConfig/ipythonrc.py: Made confirm_exit 1 by
>    default. Now that the default at the confirmation prompt is yes,
>    it's not so intrusive. François' argument that ipython sessions
>    tend to be complex enough not to lose them from an accidental C-d,
>    is a valid one.
>

> So I guess I won't convince you, but nevertheless I find it quite
> annoying that ipython asks me -- do you really want to do what you
> want to do?
> For example Sage sessions can also be very valuable, but it doesn't
> ask you if you really want to exit.

Well, I also hate it and immediately disable it :)  But I do worry
that Ctrl-D is pretty easy to hit accidentally and would rather not
kill unsuspecting users' sessions.

Keep in mind that %Exit/%Quit is *always* an unconditional exit
(though it is more typing...)

This is one of those cases where  we're likely to always have someone
be unhappy.  But I'd actually be willing to change the default if most
users would prefer it that way, I honestly don't care much.