[IPython-user] confirm exit 0 the default?

Robin robince@gmail....
Tue Jul 22 08:18:50 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> We need much more input for this, from everyone: what do you prefer,
> confirm yes or no?

For what it's worth I'd rather it stay as it is now (ask for
confirmation). If ctrl-D was only for ipython I would agree it wasn't
necessary but since I use ctrl-D all the time for closing terminals,
logging out of ssh sessions etc. I think it is better to keep it.
Accidently logging out of ssh or closing a terminal isn't usually a
problem because the only state there is the current directory -
whereas an ipython session usually has a lot of state that can be a
pain to recreate. A couple of times the confirmation has saved me when
I've been ctrl-d'ing a load of remote sessions away at the end of work
and focus switched to an ipython I had forgotten about.

As someone earlier mentioned when you really do want to quit ipython
it is almost as automatic for me to type ctrl-d return now. Also the
point that people might look to turn it off if it bothers them more
than people might look to turn it on if it's absent seems a valid one.

Cheers

Robin

PS - I'd also like the list mailer to have reply set 'correctly' to
the list so I don't always accidently send it only to the original
poster... but I think discussions happened before.